These Sweet Potato Black Bean Tostadas are a fun fiesta dish that can easily be customized with whatever toppings you desire! Dairy free, gluten free, and vegan.
I think if I were to turn into a food that I eat a lot of I would turn into a sweet potato.
I just cannot get enough! I was going through my recipes I have published here on the blog and realized I share quite a few sweet potato recipes, and I am totally not surprised about it. I love cooking with sweet potatoes and adding them to different dishes.
I was thinking about what a good recipe would be for Cinco de Mayo (it’s next week!!) and after I settled on making tostadas I knew I just had to add some sweet taters on it, because why not?! That is what is so fun about making tostadas — you can really top ’em with whatever you are feeling. I put black beans, sweet potato, pico de gallo, and avocado on top of these, but if you are feeling something else on top, go for it!
So as I was warming the tortillas in the oven I began to think how I should try making my own tortillas at home.
Has anyone ever done that? I have had homemade tortillas before and they are SO good that I think I may need to try it out on my own. Okay, scratch that, I definitely need to make my own tostadas. ASAP.
Cinco de Mayo homemade tortilla making party anyone??!???
OH! And these Sweet Potato Black Bean Tostadas are made with the Fresh Pico de Gallo. I shared on the blog a couple weeks back! I told you I had a recipe coming with that recipe and here it is. Making the pico de gallo FRESH as opposed to store bought takes it up a notch. I always prefer homemade pico de gallo because the flavors are so fresh and bursting with flavor. And while it takes some marinating time, it is totally worth it.
Just do it 😉
These Sweet Potato Black Bean Tostadas are:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled + cubed
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can Low Sodium Black Beans
- 4 6-inch Corn Tortillas
- ½ small White Onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo
- Cilantro, to top
- Lime Juice, to top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Arrange sweet potato cubes in an even layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top with 1 tbsp EVOO, sea salt, cumin, and chili powder over the sweet potato cubes and toss the cubes together to coat all cubes.
- Roast sweet potato cubes in the oven for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally
- In a saute pan, add 1 tbsp of EVOO and heat on stove over medium heat. Once oil is heated, add the onions and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the black beans and stir together for about 2 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- When sweet potato cubes are done roasting, remove from oven.
- On the same baking sheet, place 4 corn tortillas on baking sheet and heat in the oven until they are crispy (about 10 minutes). Watch as they bake since they can burn easily!
- Remove tortillas from oven and layer each tortilla with sweet potato, black beans, and toppings of your choosing.
More topping ideas:
- Sliced cabbage
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Thinly sliced scallion
- Seeded and minced jalapeno
- Sour cream/ plain Greek yogurt
Pin for later
- Have you ever made your own tortillas?